Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Artificial Intelligence, 2021: Towhead of Cottonwoods

Photo Credit: Ryan Mollnow, USFWS Mountain-Prairie 2004. Derivative: cropped by dkp. License CC-by 2.0

This is just a layman's observation. I think Facebook's forays into the weaselly world of artificial intelligence is more advanced than Duckduckgo's. I was reading Huckleberry Finn and was reminded to wonder why a blond is called a "towhead."  Cottonwoods were mentioned, and I began to think of local (North Georgia) scrub brush, to envision something similar. Would a white towhead be like a field of sandy dropgrass? a stand of white-flowered jasmine bushes? flowering pears? a thicket of katawba trees, maybe? So I searched "cottonwood trees." Oddly, the trees were not white at all. They ranged from a soft, bushy green to a brilliant yellow-orange color. The term "towhead" brought up beaucoups of little blond boys. I couldn't quite make the connection, going by the trees I had seen; strawberry blonds, maybe, or little redheads. But white-blond children? Why the metaphor? 

It took quite a few more searches (and several articles perused) for more clues, that finally provided me something of an answer. With the last set of terms, the image search result gave up a set of pictures showing full-blown cottonwoods going to seed. Finally, the fuzzy, white "summer snow" I sought: 

*cottonwoods
*cottonwood trees
*towhead
*river towhead
*towhead with cottonwoods 
*cottonwood trees in seasons
*cottonwood trees in all stages
*cottonwood trees white 
*cottonwood trees full blown seed
*cottonwood poplar thicket summer fuzz white
*ohio summer snow cottonwood seed

I haven't tried Google, but I know that Facebook would have categorized my thoughts immediately. One mention of the word "towhead," and I would see memes of blond kids, ads pushing Mark Twain books, pictures of islands, documentaries about riverboats, and travel ads for Missouri and Mississippi River destinations. Facebook reads my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment