Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Google Sites and G Suite Productivity Tools Work for Me

Wow! What Google has given me for six dollars a month is rather amazing. It's almost too good to be true, so I hope they don't start deleting services or hiking up the price. And, yes, there is a learning curve, especially for fearful geeks like myself. But wow... what I've been able to do, so far, and the glimpses of what I probably can do, with a bit more learning, just amazes me. So far, I've built my site in a WYSIWYG editor, changed the size of text boxes and linked them, pulled up and used files from my Google Drive, added a Google slide show using photos in my Google Photos (can't customize the look of the slideshow much, but that's a-comin', probably), set privacy, added users (if I wanted to pay for more users), embedded pages in my site, published or unpublished my site at the drop of a hat, pointed my custom domain at my site and had it propagate so fast it made my head spin (and with phone support to talk me through the process, too). I went to my personal blogs and added my business self as a second admin (optional), so I could edit no matter whether I was logged into my "business" or personal account. I will be able to add calendars and things if I like. I haven't figured out all the customization tools yet, and I'm still a little lost in the Admin Console, but this is pretty much the smoothest site migration and easiest new-site build I've ever encountered. They've worked hard to make everything workable for hobbyists, yet, I think pros can still find all the horrid tech-y stuff in there, if they need it. Well, I won't say that navigating the Google Admin Console is easy, though they really have tried to make it so. I think the problem is me. But I will learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment