Friday, December 19, 2008

Bump in the Information Superhighway

Angelfire required an e-mail account. Letdown! Frown-face! I didn't have a computer. How I envied all of those roadies, speeding down the information superhighway in their brand-new e-Machines! But I had no computer. I was still sitting by the roadside with my thumb stuck out. No computer; hence, no e-mail. (What the heck was e-mail, anyway? Ah, I think surely I knew that much, even then.) E-mail was the thing you got when you clicked that Eudora thingy on a PC desktop, if you had one. But the library computer didn't have that thingy. Or if it did, it was off limits to me. Drat! But at least I could type a letter in Wordpad and print it at the library now. Even that was a great improvement over handwritten drafts or pecking at my early-80s-era electric typewriter (the one that punched holes in the paper). So, I began word-editing with a will. Mainly, I typed letters to send to my friend, Charlene. But e-mail, I did not type. I went to the library and typed letters, or I moped at home. It all seemed so frustrating. Finally, someone (probably that same button-pushing niece) clued me in that you could get e-mail without having your own PC. Off to the library I sped.

Oh, the perils of Bugbones!

No comments:

Post a Comment