Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Easy? Or just another cPanel in Disguise?

Seeing that everybody and their mother seems to have a website, I figured it must have gotten easier after all these years. Silly me. I've discovered that all these sites are built the same way: Glossy, slick, classic, or downright ugly front page, with cPanel under the hood. When Amateurs like myself got into the site-building game, companies had to make it look easier to make a web page (not that they actually did make it easier). Back in the day, I wondered how webmasters built sites that let other users share space, or even buy in. I was both envious and hopeful. For awhile there, I thought it just couldn't be done unless a person could write copious amounts of code, all on their own. I began to suspect otherwise. I've read enough now to know that lots of cheap hosts are just resellers who put their own spin on a webpage, while utilizing their papa host's cPanel. I don't know if you'd call them SpinOffs or Para-Sites. What I mean is, they buy a hosting plan with, say, ComplexHost, set up a home page entitled "EasyHost," and give you links to a fraction of the tools that ComplexHost offers. This could be an okay thing. As a beginner, you may not need, or know how to use, all that stuff that ComplexHost has to offer. The downside is that you're paying about as much for EasyHost as you would for the other, yet getting half the tools. Even worse, you may just be paying to look at EasyHost's front page. Once hooked, you might find yourself right back under the hood, in cPanel, wondering which monkey wrench to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment