Saturday, June 23, 2012

John and Yoko Farming Beef


And another thing. Only since the advent of the Internet have we felt compelled to waste countless hours in the trivial pursuit of seeking out trivia ~ seeking the meaning of obscure song lyrics and the like. Take for instance I Do the Rock by Tim Curry. One verse of that song always puzzled me:
John and Yoko farming beef
Raising protein quota
Sometimes they make love and art
Inside their dakota
Rodney's feeling sexy
Mick is really frightfully bold
Me, I do the only thing that'stops me growing old
I do the Rock
I do the Rock Rock
I do the Rock Rock Rock 
Now, the other references weren't that obscure: Rod Stewart and Mick Jagger... pretty obvious. Edith Sitwell (from a previous verse) I'd heard of, and it wasn't hard, from there, to find "Satchie" (Sacheverell Sitwell, her brother). Gertrude Stein and Alice B. Toklas, I already knew.  "Baby" (Babe) Ruth, Knute Rockne, and O.J. were easy enough, as people who "wack" balls with great velocity ~ albeit O.J. is more famous, now, for wacking people. Likewise, Solzhenitzin, Nietsche, Einstein, various celebs, and world leaders posed no problem. I didn't bother to look up every ref, I got the drift of it. But somehow, John and Yoko just weren't associated with the farming of beef in my mind. The Dakota, sure; but "farming beef"? And "raising protein quota"? Was it a strange reference to child-getting, I wondered? Checking several sites that analyze obscure or unintelligible lyrics, I found that most of them included the song, but none had answers, or even guesses, about its meaning. Searches for John and Yoko and "beef" or "protein quota" all led to sites that mentioned the song, but had no insight into the lyrics. I learned that the Lennons bought a farm in Virginia and thought that I'd solved the mystery. But looking further into it, it didn't seem to be that kind of farm. It was an historic estate, not a cattle farm. Continuing to search, I found that John Lennon did a song called 'Beef Jerky.' Aha! I thought. But no, it was an instrumental. The one string of lyrics (Beef jerky, beef jerky, beef jerky) provided no enlightenment, and I did find a site which mentioned that Tim Curry dropped that verse in one live performance. Also, oddly enough, I found a father-and-son team, John and Sean Lennon (of no relation, apparently, to the famous ones) who farmed cannabis. And I found a Vanity Fair parody, in which a 70-year-old John Lennon (had he lived) went bounding about a dairy farm with pails of milk.

Not one to give up (and this song nagging, as it did, every time I thought of it), I kept plugging away on Google. And finally, voila! Something clicked. I began to find references to Yoko Ono's investments in cattle, references to a "$250,000" ($250K) cow, and various opinons as to Yoko Ono's genius for investing (or lack thereof); for she was (or wasn't) brilliant as John Lennon's financial manager, and made investments in cattle and organic farming. Thus, the most likely solution to the odd lyrics? Either Michael Kamen or Tim Curry picked up a stray tidbit from the entertainment news of the day.

So, here are the clues that led to my conclusion: 

From Beatles Photo Blog came a forum conversation betwixt "Alex of Bronx," "Tammy," and "Jo." Alex mentioned the Virginia farm, but Tammy and Jo provided my first clue about a $250,000 cow (somehow tied to Yoko Ono). Subsequent searches on Yoko, investments, and $250K cows turned up this: 
While Ono managed John’s money, John becomes a house husband, devoting his time to baking bread and raising his son Sean. John and Ono became worth hundreds of million of dollars, partly because of shrewd investments made Ono, who made a fortune in New York real estate and with dairy cows.
                                                                                                          ~ Facts and Details (Japan)

Ono became Lennon's business manager, and invested his money in real estate and organic farming. 
                                                                                                         ~ John Lennon, from Simple Wiki

His personal fortune was estimated at $150 million by the fall of 1980, before his death; most of his investments were in real estate and organic farming. (Tarot reader John Green asserted in Dakota Days that Lennon's actual fortune was far less, and the rest was hype on Yoko Ono's part.)
                                                                                from What Was Lennon's Net Worth 

And finally, this from a Yoko fan (perhaps her only):

Yoko, by contrast, was and is financially brilliant.  In All We Are Saying, she compares investments and financial transactions with chess.  The woman made millions for the two of them off of investments in cows.  Cows!  Dammit, I want her handling my money, too!
                                                                               from article on ImaginePeace.com

So, regardless of the verity of any information found, the "fact" of the $250K cow obviously got about among Yoko fans, critics, or the general public. And for me, I've solved the mystery of the "John and Yoko farming beef" lyric, at least to my own satisfaction. And yes... we spend w-a-aaa-ay-y-y too much of our life seeking out the significance of obscure song lyrics...


14 comments:

  1. I googled this because of the Tim Curry song as well---rediscovered after almost 30 years, since I have a turntable now. Thanks for the research!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I've been wondering for years about the "beef" reference.
    Best wishes to Tim Curry in his recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is an old post, so forgive me, but I was a fan of Lennon and Curry back in the day. IIRC, the cow made the news because its price was the highest that had ever been paid for a cow. Lennon refers to the sale in the spoken part at the end of "Dear Yoko" on the Double Fantasy album: "When you come over next time, don't sell a cow; spend some time with me and Sean. You'll like it."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry it took me so long to publish your comment--thanks for your info. I'm glad to know that avid fans of Lennon would have "gotten" the line. It seemed obscure to me because, when I went to research the puzzling line, I thought I never would track down an explanation for it. That's the nature of news, though, quickly out of the public consciousness, until it becomes "history." Good music, Curry and Lennon, both!

      Delete
  4. Yoko's farming investments were in the news and not an obscure tidbit at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw Yoko had invested in Holstein cows in an article in Esquire magazine shortly before Lennons death.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I once worked for a banker who had a signed contract by John Lennon for the purchase of either cattle or a cattle farm in Virginia, Rockingham County I think. If I can get further info I'll post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://www.dairyagendatoday.com/SpecialPages/Virginia.html

    Check this link on a blog page, the blog is titled "Holsteins and a Beatle" I believe this is the transaction I referred to previously.

    ReplyDelete
  8. But what does the tag line and title of the song refer to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you asked! Really, I always assumed it was a dance song, and that "The Rock" was a new dance at the time. But now, I think he's just referring to rock music, and that he does "rock." I mean, he's listing all this serious or "heavy" art, poetry, ideology, philosophy--and then counteracting with something fun and frivolous, or, what is meaningful to him: rock music.

      Delete
  9. I seem to remember them talking about investments in cattle on the Mike Douglas show...a long time ago obviously, when John and Yoko went through their publicity phase.

    ReplyDelete
  10. FEARLESS is now in CD . . . just came to the house from amazon and I'm listening to it right now; I really regretted having to give up the Tim Curry vinyls. Hoping his other albums are remastered and made into CDs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. And now your page becomes the landing point for all those other people feverishly researching this particular bit of meaningless trivia on the internet. Ain't the 21st century grand?

    Seriously, though, thank you. That line has been vaguely bothering me on and off since the Reagan administration. And now all is revealed! (The 21st century really does have its moments, I suppose.)

    ReplyDelete