Sunday, May 13, 2012

Dinosaur Humor & Siderail to Varityper...

Clearly, I got sidetracked. Eight months since a dinosaur blog post, and I thought I'd let someone else do my talking today. I found this blogger by accident, but was amused at his updated take on outdated icons. Outdated by decades, apparently, and soon to be non-recognizable by kids...

Hanselman: The Floppy Disk Means Save and 14 Other Old People Icons...
http://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheFloppyDiskMeansSaveAnd14OtherOldPeopleIconsThatDontMakeSenseAnymore.aspx

Yeah, I used one of those big, black, eight-inch floppies once. (More than once). It really was floppy, too. I was always worried about creasing one (never happened); and getting a magnet next to one (sadly, did once happen). My machine of choice (or rather, of necessity back then) was a Varityper phototypesetter (4500, as I recall, and stepped on up to the 5400). Had little film fonts--hence, "photo" typesetter. Uh huh, it used film to develop fonts on photographic paper. But Varityper was uptown--it used film discs! So much easier than stretching celluloid on a reel-to-reel, as on the old Compugraphics...

Varityper on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/AM-Varityper-Phototypesetters/93607261216

No comments:

Post a Comment