Thursday, January 1, 2009

Wires, Chips, Woes, and Klingon...

No, of course LView Pro wasn't a Microsoft program. That's not what I meant. But I'd already had a taste of what software manufacturers could do to you, and that was Microsoft. Their hi-tech promises expire overnight. Bill Gates could pull the rug out from under any software company any time he wanted. But my feet were also on that rug. One Microsoft upgrade and my hard-bought PC ~ the obsolete dinosaur ~ was a worthless pile of wires and chips. Half of my gadgets would fail. Oh, sure, most of the software makers would scramble around and come up with a new driver or something. But I was the user who had to figure out what made my gadget quit working, what a driver was, where to find one, which one to download, how to install it (and don't even get me started on installation woes). Finding drivers and fixes took searching and searching, poring over smirky tech-forum posts, trying to figure out who knew what, and reading between the lines of a mish-mash of tech jargon that was as incomprehensible to me as Klingon. nuqneH!

Confessions of a non-techie.

(Thanks to Wikipedia for the Klingon word.)

No comments:

Post a Comment