Friday, January 23, 2009

Bugbones, PauperWitch, and Art Forum

I think I began by posting on the art forum as Bugbones, the same nickname that I had used for e-mail. I don't know if it was the 'uggy' sound of the bug name, or the paranoia of keeping my e-mail private, that made me change the nickname. Maybe it was just because it was tempting to have multiple identities. The Internet let you do that, and who hasn't wanted to be somebody else for a change? It was fun. So I chose 'PauperWitch.' PauperWitch was a throwback to my love of literature. She was a character from a Robert Frost poem that I liked and it sounded really edgy; especially compared to JoeBlow24203, the typical Delphi suggestion. There were no 'wiccan' overtones to my choice and I wasn't dirt poor ~ just felt that way sometimes. So now I was regularly perusing art forum, and posting as PauperWitch, and Philip asked to see photos, and I sent them via HotMail. Not without trouble. Right away I began to learn about file size. I had carefully composed my nice e-mail and began to attach the photos that had been so hard to scan. Hotmail timed out. I didn't know it was a time out. I just knew I would hit send, everything would go blank, and my letter would be gone. Into the Twilight Zone, not into the outbox. Hotmail apologized and maybe they blamed Netscape Navigator... I don't know. I managed to get the photos to Philip and we discussed art back and forth for awhile. Then, since it seemed I could be away from forum for days or weeks and not miss much, I went back to working on my page. One day I went back to forum and found that it, like my e-mail, was now residing in... the Twilight Zone!

MiningCo and the Artist's Exchange Art Forum

No comments:

Post a Comment