Friday, December 19, 2008

Why Bugbones?

Why Bugbones? Funny you should ask that. It is an odd name. The legend of Bugbones goes way, way back into the stone age of my youth. Bugbones was a strange little character that I drew when I was a kid. It wasn't even my idea. Some boy had drawn one in school and showed one to me. (Yes, even then little-boy artists were inviting me to come up to the studio and see their etchings. Sometimes I did, too.) Bugbones was edgy. He was wild. He was a strange little skeleton in a stiff, robotic pose. He stood like Michael Jackson, in Thriller: one arm stuck up, one down, kind of pivoted from the elbow. Walk-like-an-egyptian! Bugbones had little cracks running through his bones and skull. And there were bugs crawling on him, little creepy spiders that hung from his limbs. His grin was grim, his nose was hollow. Come to think of it, he really was a lot like Michael Jackson.

Oh, the perils of Bugbones!

No comments:

Post a Comment