Monday, December 22, 2008

My First Computer

By now, I had my first computer. It was a hand-me-down with Windows 95 and an eight-inch screen. Everybody else was in heat over Windows 98 by then, but I was mighty proud of my new toy. I even had the disk and could register my copy. I still didn't have Internet, but I spent many happy days playing with Paintbrush, resetting my Wallpaper, and messing with the control panel. Need I tell you how many times I went into panic mode over some mystical Windows error message? The most terrifying one back then was the warning that I had done an "illegal operation." I had no idea what I had done, but having the application growl and promptly close each time left me feeling properly admonished. Was I a hacker? An accidental hacker? I felt like that blonde moll in the comic strips, who pulled the tag out of the pillow: "Do not remove under penalty of law!" I was looking over my shoulder for the cops every minute. But having a computer meant that I could work on my Bugbones logo at home.

Oh, the perils of Bugbones...

No comments:

Post a Comment